Saturday, December 5, 2009

Being in the moment...

Ok, when Scott is not sailing Lasers you can find him sitting in front of his computer crunching numbers, running finite element analysis (FEA), creating 3-D models, organizing the next part to be built or modified, along with the endless spreadsheets which, honestly, when I look over his shoulder, I can only shake my head and say, 'wtf! , how do you understand all of that!' He just looks back at me and can't understand why I don't get it.

In the photo above you can see Scott "on the job site" observing the BMW/Oracle "wing" of which he is one of the designers. Scott is the one on the bow with the red stripe (his pfd)... my first question upon seeing the photo was, "where's your helmet?"

One more thing that stands out in my mind.... Scott works just so hard and is often so incredibly stressed out and a few months after the regatta he said to me, "You know what I love most about sailing Lasers? It's the greatest distraction. When I sail, I am so in the moment and can think of nothing else. It pulls me away to a place where I am able to think clearly.... nothing but wind and water." Later, with a smile, "...ok, can I cross the guy on my hip, was I over early, am I going the right way and is there weed on my board....but, it's all good." Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment